First News has teamed up with Kahoot! to create weekly free quizzes to use in your classroom based on the latest stories in the newspaper.
With each Kahoot, pupils will be able to test their knowledge of the news, developing news literacy and becoming more globally aware, as well as improving core competencies such as reading comprehension. Kahoot! quizzes are free to play, all you need is internet access. However, setting up a free teacher login means you can keep track of the Kahoot! quizzes you have played. This also enables you to see (and save) how your students have responded.
Click here and register your details to receive a new quiz every week! Once registered, please follow the steps below for getting started
KAHOOT!: HOW TO PLAY
Kahoot! quizzes are free to play. They foster deeper awareness of the latest global news stories with these captivating Kahoots from First News Education, available for free on Kahoot! Academy.
All you need is internet access. However, setting up a free teacher login means you can keep track of the Kahoot! quizzes you have played. This also enables you to see (and save) how your students have responded.
Teachers: How to host a live game
As a teacher you will be 'hosting' a quiz for your pupils to play.
- Access the First News quiz here
- Select the quiz and either ‘login’, ‘sign up’ or ‘play as a guest’
- If you are logged in select 'Play' on the First News quiz and then ‘Present’, if you are not logged in select ‘Play as a Guest’ and then ‘Classic Mode’
- Share the game pin with your class for them to join on their devices.
- When everyone has joined you can start the game. Select the ‘start’ button (top right corner)
The first question will show on your screen. When everyone has selected an answer, or the timer has run out, the correct answer will be revealed and pupils will be awarded points. You can then move onto the next question
Pupils: how to join a game
You can play on a desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile device
- Play through the website https://kahoot.it or download the Kahoot! App from the App Store or Google play
- Enter the pin your host has shared with you, and add your nickname when prompted
You’re now set to play. Remember, you get more points for speed – Good Luck!
WAYS TO PLAY
- On class whiteboard (students playing individually or in groups): Students will need an individual or group device. Follow the above instructions
- On class whiteboard (playing together): You must be logged in to do this. Students do not need individual devices. Select 'Play' on the quiz, then choose the 'Practice' option.
- During a video conferencing lesson (students playing individually): Follow the instructions above. Students will need their own devices, and remember to share your screen so students can see the questions
- Setting the quiz for homework: You must be logged in to do this. After selecting ‘Play’ select ‘Assign’ and set the completion deadline. Then, share the link or game pin with your players. You will be able to log in and see scores of participants